This past weekend, something momentous for the no-name actor William Kidd happened. I got my 3rd SAG voucher on the set of "Transformers"! That means I'm eligible to join the Screen Actors Guild! Many shows you see on TV and almost all movies on the big screen are usually under SAG jurisdiction, and thus, every actor has to be a member of SAG. Being SAG eligible means that I can be hired on a show without the production company being penalized (fined). It also means that I'm more appealing to theatrical (film/TV) agents. Of course, I would be more attractive if I were an actual member, so I'll be pondering away if I should join. If I were hired on a SAG production, I would have to go down and pay the $1524 anyway. Drawbacks to joining are that I can never again do non-union work (legally) and am competing as a true professional actor. It means always competing with the big boys basically. But that's what I'm here for. Many people remain SAG eligible and do lower paying non-union jobs until they get that first SAG job. What to do... I'll probably just join after all this talk. The main thing though is that it's a big step in my career and a goal that I had set when I came to LA, and now achieved.
I worked background on "Smith" on 9/20 and was in scenes with Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, and Sherilyn Fenn. One scene I was a parent in the stands (khakis and a gray polo shirt) while Ray is coaching his son's baseball team, and the other scene I was a cop at a party (in plain clothes, gray pants and cream colored T; Ray's character was going to a cop barbecue). I got a "Good Morning" out of Virginia and a smile out of Sherilyn, and just a trademark intimidating stare out of Ray Liotta. He's one of my favorites. My car will probably have more air time than my face though. It's the charcoal Nissan Maxima on the left side of the driveway when Ray and Virginia are walking up to the party. Well... at least I got a bump in pay for the use of my car. Ummmm... I'm not sure when it airs but they said it's episode 6, so when I find out, I'll post it. I'm almost positive that I'll be nothing more than a fuzzball on screen though. It was a good experience though and a little money.
I turned in my footage from all the short and student films I've done to get made into a "reel". Basically, it's selected scenes featuring you and your work. Most of the stuff I brought to Kati Lamkin (editlady.com), the editor, was rejected because of the production quality. We'll see what magic she works. I'll use my reel primarily in getting a theatrical agent, so they can see what I look like on tape. Casting directors sometimes look at it also in the casting process. When it's done and I've gotten it on the casting sites, I'll post a link to it.


1 Comments:
Congrats Nedrow! Looking forward to seeing you more & more.
Post a Comment
<< Home