Not much going on these last few days really. Auditioned for a couple of casting directors and sent out my headshot/resume to 50 agents yesterday. One of those casting directors was for Smallville, one of my favorite shows. But I'm afraid I don't look 20 any more. She said they're casting a new TV show about Aquaman (he's 20 also, dang), so that should be pretty interesting. I calculated the total cost per mailing to be $1.74. I'm learning this a true business, one of marketing and advertising oneself. These casting directors are helpful in many ways though b/c you get to see what they're interested in, not interested in, what will turn them off to your audition before you even start it, etc. Some only like union and represented actors, some don't care if you have an agent or are in SAG, some only like b&w headshots, some only like color. Everybody tells you what you're "supposed" to do, but then you find out that EVERYBODY has a different opinion on EVERYTHING, which makes it even more difficult b/c you have to remember what each individual likes/dislikes (trying to keep good notes). A lot of times they tell you what you could have done better. A lot of times they don't. A lot of times they just smile and says thanks. I used to think acting was just knowing the words to say (and which a lot of people I talk to still do). It's a lot easier to learn words on a page than it is to make the emotional connection with your audience. I'm so used to protecting myself and being on guard (most of everybody is) that being vulnerable is like speaking another language. At first thought, it's allowing myself to be weak. But when I watch a movie and see a great scene where somebody opens themselves to the world, seeing them as weak is the last thing that crosses my mind. I come out saying, "Dang, that was a great performance" because I connected with them on an emotional level. In real life, most of my emotional moments are internalized and not shown. But that's why we go to the movies then huh? We want to feel comfort in knowing that somebody else can feel this way, shares our experience, or show us new situations/feelings that we never thought about. Or... so we can see buildings blow up and people doing martial arts. That's important too, ha ha. Wow, it's such a different world than engineering. I'm learning a lot!
On a totally different note, the gas guy came today and found gas leaks at my wall heater and stove. He turned the gas off and said "You're lucky you've been waking up"! I've been breathing in gas fumes for over 3 weeks now!!! No wonder I'm lethargic at times. I've smelled it and thought I was just making it up in my head. Glad I don't smoke! No gas = No hot water!!! I chewed my land lord out today (not kidding) and haven't been as pissed as I was this afternoon in quite a while. I would have been quite a feared linebacker today if I was playing football.
I hope to get some pictures up on here before too long. Oh yeah, I ran past this guy today http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0719606/ . He was in "The Sandlot" and "Son In Law" when he was younger.


1 Comments:
Sounds like you are having fun living the way you want to live. I wish I could have witnessed the landlord blast. I cannot imagine that guy. What can he say? "Uhhh sorry I almost killed you". Keep that linebacker mentality and hope for a good nose tackle.
-TimO
Post a Comment
<< Home