I'm sitting at my computer right now in my Hollywood apartment. I'm actually sitting in a UT Longhorn fold-up chair looking at my monitor that is situated (carefully) on top of a large plastic paint can. Why not use real furniture you may ask? Well, I would if the movers would deliver it to me! The last time I saw my oh-so comfortable couch was on Oct. 17th. That was 2 weeks ago! Oh couch, oh bed, I will never take you for granted again... I have become quite good friends with my hardwood floor who I sleep with every night. It's amazing what you get used to when you have to. Although, my back tells me that it does appreciate my current sleeping arrangement. If I could just get used to the noise now. That's a big adjustment.
I arrived in Los Angeles on Oct. 21st, wide-eyed, bewildered, full of hope, and tired from the 1300 mile journey from Texas. I left my San Antonio apartment in tip-top condition (besides the hole in the bedroom wall the size of my fist, oops) on Oct. 18th, not even looking back. I had to make a few stops along the way though. I drove up to Austin to see Cath, Kris and Lisa and had an enjoyable spaghetti dinner waiting for me. We had a good, although a short one-night visit, and they sent me off with the various essentials needed in a long car ride including an ice pack and some towels for my back, which I managed to rip up in the move. Headed west to San Angelo to see my mom and Roger and stayed the night with them. I was very proud of my mom, she held up pretty strong for me when I knew all she wanted to do was cry. She did a little, but that's to be expected. I gave her a kiss and got in my loaded-up Nissan ready to rock. I began this journey at 9:45 AM on Oct. 20, anxious to get to California.
The trip went well. Can't say too much happened though. One-person car rides usually have very little excitement to them. I will say that Phoenix, AZ gave me the willies for some reason and I saw a lot of... nothing. Quite a bit of desert on the trip. I pulled into Blythe, CA (right on the AZ/CA border) at 1 AM (3 AM Central). Tired as hell. I stayed at the Motel 6 my dad looked up for me and got in for $44. Not too bad. My dad loves Motel 6s, and I can't say I blame him. Heck, they're cheap and decent and you're only gonna be there for a few hours anyway. Headed out the next morning at 8:30 AM and enjoyed the traffic leading into Los Angeles, even as far out as 150 miles. You think you know what traffic is, but you have no idea until you experience it in LA. They say you get used to it, and well, that's true too, believe it or not. Finally arrived at my land lord's office at 1 PM on the 21st and boy was I happy! I was here finally, a place that had seemed and was so far away for such a long time. 4 years of thinking about doing this had suddenly manifested into me finally doing it. It's a good feeling when you make your thoughts and ideas materialize into the reality around you.
So now I'm here... and now what? Well, the acting biz and this town are things that I'm realizing very quickly are not learned in a short time period. It's very clear to me that I'll have to take the small steps in order to arrive where I want to be and I imagine. But that's why I came out here in the first place. To conquer a mountain, not a molehill, and to enjoy the experiences, good and bad, that are along the way. Why give up money and a good job to struggle in a field which so many "fail" at? I think I could only fail if I came here for the wrong reasons. Living a life for other people is failing. Living a life that makes me happy is winning. I've taken that step.


1 Comments:
No furniture, what a trip! We'll be thinkin'of ya back home in dear'ole VA. In the meantime, here's an austrian economist's view on the history of Hollywood for your reading pleasure, as I'm sure you have nothing better to do!
http://www.mises.org/journals/fm/fm696.asp
Post a Comment
<< Home