Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Registered with Central Casting, a casting agency for background actors (the ones you see in movies, TV that are not speaking but there for atomosphere). I've been an extra in two movies back in DFW and it was fun and you got to see behind the scenes, in addition to getting to be on set with the stars (Elizabeth Hurley touched my shoulder, yes!). It'll be a little income too. And the real reason... to get a SAG (actor's union, Screen Actor's Guild) card. However, you have to be lucky in this respect. As a non-union worker your hired to do non-union work. But once in a while, they have to fill a union background actor position, and they go to the non-union workers if they can't fill it with a SAG guy. So, in that case, you get a SAG voucher. It takes three of them to be able to enter SAG. So you have to be lucky/fortunate 3 times. I hear they're going to increase this in the next year to 9 vouchers, so I better get moving. But there's another way to get a SAG card, called a Taft-Hartley, where they want you so bad for whatever reason that they basically say "OK, you're in SAG, pay the dues". The extras are the lowest end of the totem pole, but you do what you got to do. Got to have a SAG card to get an agent usually, and got to have an agent to get SAG work. One step at a time I guess...

Auditioned for a casting associate of Reba and Modern Men (TV show coming out next year). Did well enough in the scene but she told me I need to pick up the pace. They've all been telling me this! I think I am picking up the pace, but I guess the Southern boy in me isn't used to fast-talking stuff. Something I will be consciously working on until I don't have to think about it. Obviously, Texans are a lot slower with our words (although I think they just talk too fast out here). Guess you got to get all the dialogue in in a condensed show full of commercials. I'll get the hang of this yet!

Auditioned for an agent the other day too. He was nice but uninterested. Told me that as I become accustomed to the market here, that I will need to be a character actor. Not a leading man type. "There are too many want-to-be Tom Cruises in this town". I'll listen and make my own conclusions with experience.

Been having trouble letting go and going with the flow in a lot of these scenes. 12 years of studying and doing engineering has ingrained a certain quality in me that doesn't fit well in acting. You can't think when you're acting. The thinking comes beforehand in preparation. You just let it fly. That's what I'm learning at least. You work on your mechanics as a pitcher (sports in general) in practice, but when game time comes, you trust that your body will do as you've taught it and just throw the damn ball. I have to do that with acting.

Man, most people are pissed at Arnold out here. Doesn't look too good for him to be re-elected. Mainly about him taking 2 billion from education.

Went to a party with my upstairs neighbor the other night. It was my first time being in a LA club. BEAUTIFUL women! Oh, I met the stereotypical LA blonde want-to-be Charlize Theron actress today. She described herself without even skipping a beat as a "hot chick" and that she came here b/c her "rich" boyfriend moved her out here. She got a call from Playboy as we stood in line. In line as extras. I'm sure her resume contains some "interesting" stuff. Man, she was so full of herself. I was laughing inside so hard. Asking her sarcastic questions that she didn't even know were sarcastic. I will definitely be able to amuse myself out here.

2 Comments:

Blogger bloggrez said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:52 AM  
Blogger JimGar said...

Hate these spam comments! You really need to invest in a digital camera so you can help us mentally picture your surroundings, not to mention the 'hot chicks.'

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home